J. Steven Carter
- Commercial and corporate litigation
- General Civil litigation
- Medical malpractice
- General tort and insurance defense
- Civil rights and constitutional claims
- Defense of employers in discrimination and wrongful discharge cases
- Birmingham Southern College: B.S., cum laude, Business Administration
- Florida State University: J.D. with Honors
- Recognized by the Florida Bar as a board certified civil trial lawyer since 1999
- Rated "AV" by Martindale-Hubbell
- Joined the firm in March 1994
- Clerked for the firm as a law student from 1989-1991
- Named to Florida Trend Magazine's "Florida Legal Elite" in the practice of civil trial law, which ranks the top 2% of practicing Florida Bar Members by peer review
- Listed as a Florida Super Lawyer in the areas of Business Litigation, Civil Litigation Defense, and General Litigation in the Super Lawyers Magazine, a peer review publication by Law & Politics Magazine
- Member of the litigation and the business and labor law sections of the American Bar Association, the trial lawyers section of the Florida Bar Association, the Tallahassee Bar Association, and the William Stafford Tallahassee Chapter of the American Inns of Court
Admitted to Practice
- All Courts In The State of Florida
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Northern, Middle and Southern Districts of Florida
In September 2021, Steve Carter and Miriam Coles successfully defended and won a jury verdict in Federal Court in favor of a Physician Assistant accused of sexual assault against female prisoners during a medical examination.
On March 16, 2021, Steve Carter was a guest lecturer at FSU College of Law for the Spring Semester Employment Law class taught by Professor Mary Ziegler.
In December 2020, Steve Carter and Miriam Coles won a final summary judgment in favor of the Department of Corrections in a Section 1983 claim alleging the wrongful death of an inmate caused by cruel and unusual conditions of confinement.
In June 2019, Steve Carter was recertified as a Board Certified Civil Trial Lawyer by the Florida Bar. Certification is the Florida Barâ€™s highest level of evaluation of the competency and experience a lawyer in Florida can receive. Only 7 % of the eligible Florida Bar members achieve this level of recognition. Mr. Carter has been board certified as a civil trial lawyer since June 1, 1999.